Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Ambulance Ride

I am a little behind on my blogging recently. I like to be more on top of it but alas.... I am not.  

Here's the story and pictures from Zoey's accident with the snow globe.  (I will warn you before I post a gory picture )

Last week about 5:30 in the evening I was sitting on the couch holding Paisley admiring my Christmas tree only somewhat aware that Zoey was playing around.  She was climbing on the couch when she fell and I heard a crash.  As I got up to survey the damage saw that she was covered in blood.  I set Paisley on the couch and rushed Zoey to the kitchen.  I could not tell where the wound was initially (Heavenly Father, please help!)  Saw that glass was sticking out of her wrist, grabbed a towel to hold against it and made sure there wasn't any other wounds anywhere else.  Called Neil.  Called 911.  

Now I've had some people seem skeptical about me calling 911 or thinking that that was too hasty a decision.  Let me just say, the amount of blood was extreme.  There was blood pooling on the counter and I scooped it into the sink - multiple times.  The cut is right across her wrist, ya know, where all those veins are?!?  Let me just get that out there.

Then I called my visiting teachers.  Bless them.  Katie got to my house just after the emergency crew.  She watched over Paisley for me which was a HUGE relief knowing I could focus on Zoey.  

Neil's dad got there shortly after that.  I did not even think about what Zoey had fallen on until the paramedics asked.  This was me, "uh..... there is a cookies for Santa plate over there, I dunno."  After a quick glance they confirmed it was a snow globe.  I honestly had forgotten the snow globes were there, who knew those things could be such a hazard?!?  It now made sense why there was white stuff all over Zoey too.  

The paramedics wanted to take Zoey to the hospital by ambulance.  I grabbed my shoes, Zoey's favorite stuffed bunny, and my purse and ran out the door, leaving Paisley with my father-in-law and a handful of neighbors.  (My neighbors and visiting teacher, Katie, totally cleaned up all the mess, they rock!)

To make a long story short, Zoey is totally ok and looks like she'll be just fine.  The doctor was concerned about tendon damage so we were sent to Primary Children's to see a hand surgeon but by the time we got there she was able to show enough mobility in her hand that they let us go home.  As the doctor was looking at the wound the numbing was not working on Zoey very well.  It was a horrible, awful thing to watch her go through.  They even gave her more and said they gave her more than double someone her size.  She still could feel it.  Awful.  Awful.  So, between that and the doctor thinking we were headed for surgery he did a quick stitch job that looks really unsightly.  I can't fault him for that.  He was just trying to hurry so Zoey could be done with it.  Scars are cool, right!  

Zoey is one tough girl because after it was over she was pretty smiley and her normal energetic self for the most part :)  She is using and moving that hand and fingers more and more every day.  Thank heavens! 

No gory pictures yet.  Some other pictures first.  

Neil held Zoey the entire time.  That was nice that they let us do that.  It sure was comforting for Zoey.  Getting the X-Ray.

 After they took the large pieces of glass out but before the stitches.  There was still a tiny piece of glass in her arm they saw on the X-ray.  

 I love this shot.  Rockin' the owl panties. 
 After it was all said and done.  Yay for bubbles. 
 At Primary Children's.  Happy girl with stickers.  





 Okay, here comes the graphic shots.  (which aren't too bad, I don't think)






If you have a weak stomach tune out now.  






BEWARE.  There is blood.






CAUTION.  Stop now if you don't want to see.  






You have been warned.


 



I wish I had gotten a picture of the glass sticking out of her wrist.  But, no.  I think I was still a little shocked.  Here goes.








This is the stitches 48 hours after. 







1 comment:

  1. Oh my heck! I cannot believe all this! Poor little thing.. And hey now her and Kevin share more than just Celiac, they both have awesome scars across their wrists!! lol Glad she is ok!

    ReplyDelete