Friday, October 5, 2012

Paisley's Birth Story

For those interested here is the story of my labor and delivery of Paisley. I tried to keep it short without leaving out too many details...

The week prior to her birth I had tried all kinds of things to induce labor.  Nothing kept those contractions coming continually until Sunday night at my mother in laws house when my sister in law, Tina, suggested I bounce on an exercise ball.  Thank you Tina!

I went to bed with some mild contractions and as I slept I could kindof subconsciously tell I was having contractions.  At 2 AM I woke up and decided I should time them.  4 1/2 - 6 1/2 minutes apart for an hour.  I felt really good about where I was but knew I still had some time to kill.  So I killed about an hour getting ready to go.  Then I sat and timed contractions for another hour.  This time they were so sporadic; 8 minutes, 9 minutes, 3 minutes, 7 minutes 4 minutes etc etc.  How annoying!  They were very painful and consistent enough that I knew we were having a baby that day but obviously not yet.

About 6 AM I called my friend, Kelli, who would be taking care of Zoey for me and told her to be on alert but it was still going to be a while.

I had stopped timing contractions so I'm not really sure when it shifted but at 6:30 I woke up Neil and told him to get going. 

At 6:50 I called Kelli and told her not to go to work but to come to my house and get Zoey.  Lucky timing because she was just approaching the freeway going in the opposite direction.

I couldn't handle timing the contractions any longer but I knew they were close together.  We left our house at 7:15.  I had to tell Neil to hurry and get there.  Fast.

We got to the hospital about 7:30.  They put me in a room so I could be checked and also to provide a urine sample.  As I was about to pee in the sample cup my water broke.  Convenient location, right?  I was sitting on the bed as Neil was helping me get the hospital gown on and I screamed in pain.  That for sure got the nurse's attention.  She didn't even check me, she just took me straight into a delivery room. 

I was dilated to an 8.  I said, "So, does this mean I'm not going to get my epidural?!?"  Nurse: "The anesthesiologist is doing a C-secton right now, he can be here in about 30 minutes.  As soon as he can he'll be here."  I think she knew I wasn't going to get that epidural but it was sweet of her to lead me to believe I would get it.

I had a few more quick contractions and I felt SO much pressure.  I, probably really frantically, told the nurse.  She checked me again, "I need Dr. Bowman."
Other nurse: "She's is surgery."
Nurse: "I need Dr. England."
Other nurse: "He's is surgery too."
Nurse:  "Get me a doctor.  I don't care who.  Any doctor.  Now.  She's ready."
And then she pulled her gloves up, sat at my feet, breathed deeply and said, "I'm just gonna stay right here."  I think she was mentally preparing herself to deliver this baby.

A doctor rushed in a few minutes later.  Lucky timing because he was just about to begin a C-section.  There were a few pushes and our little baby girl was here!

She is perfect!



I was not at all prepared for a natural childbirth.  Poor Neil.  He was so patient and great as I screamed through it.  My recovery has been amazing.  Even within several minutes of her birth I felt so euphoric and like I had to come down from a natural high.  I felt so good.  I'm glad she came fast and that I could experience that (although in the moment I wished for nothing but to not feel that pain).

 Everything happened so fast.  It's funny, the nurse had Neil sign the Consent to Treat form AFTER she was born.  Didn't get our wrist bands and etc til after.  It was so fast.  

Zoey meeting her little sister for the first time.  I had gotten a gift for Zoey from the baby before hand and I had Kelli take Zoey to buy a present for her sister.  That gift exchange was perfect.  Zoey was excited to give her gift and very happy to be receiving something from her new sister as well.  


Zoey enjoyed comparing her feet to Paisley's tiny feet.
 Neil's parents

 My Mom
 Zoey loves to kiss her sister.
 My great friend, Kelli.
 My brother, James and his wife Christy
 Sister in law, Chelsea
 I only have good things to say about my stay and care at Riverton Hospital.  All the nurses, especially my labor and delivery nurses - they were exceptional, doctors and everyone I encountered were absolutely wonderful and took perfect care of Paisley and me.  I would recommend Riverton Hospital to anyone! 

And here she is ready to go home in her newborn outfit that is humongous on her.  Welcome to the world Paisley!  


3 comments:

  1. You. Are. Superwoman!!!! I love reading birth stories, so thanks for sharing. I think it kind of help me mentally prepare when that time comes in my life.

    I have to say above all I am so impressed with Neil! Just this morning I was on facebook and someone was bashing 'men' for not understanding what 'we' go through. Another comment about how they are incapable. I completely disagree. I have seen it so many times and once again have heard it from you, I am in awe at how they are able to help us through some of the most difficult things, like screaming through the birthing process when no pain medication is available. Props to him. Props to you. Congrats on the new one! I cannot wait to meet her!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Sarah! Paisley is beautiful. I love all of the adorable sister pics. So happy for you and your growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sarah I am so happy you had a beautiful and safe delivery! What a cutie, Paisley is! Congratulations to you, Neil and Zoey! Love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete