As it turns out our new friends have leftovers! The guy brings a large helping over to share, "I'm stuffed!" Kelli and I weren't really interested but Neil enthusiastically took the plate.
The majority of the dinner was burned to the tinfoil. The potatoes and carrots that weren't black were still crunchy. The meat that wasn't black was bland and dry. Hmmm, no wonder he had extra to share!
This week we took a quick overnighter to the dunes and had Hobo dinners of course. As we were preparing it I couldn't help but think back to our poor friends and their less than satisfactory hobo dinner experience. I think too many people in the world have suffered a bad hobo dinner experience and I want to share our secret with you! Let me just say you are in for a real treat because this may be the most tasty meal I ever eat!
Let me also start out by saying that it took several less than satisfying attempts to make it perfect.
-What you'll need: tin foil, non-stick spray, seasoning (we use Tony Chachere's. It's a Cajun spice that is good on everything. Salt & pepper or any other spice you would use to cook meat would probably be fine), hamburger patties, shredded hashbrowns, brown gravy mix, grated cheese, onions, peppers, corn and a charcoal cooker.
-Light charcoal so it can be ready when you are done.
-Spread a large piece of tinfoil out. Spray with non stick spray. Sprinkle seasoning. The seasoning and the non stick spray act together to keep your food from sticking to the tinfoil. If you just use the non stick spray without the seasoning it doesn't work as well.
-Sprinkle meat with seasoning and some dry brown gravy mix. The gravy mix adds a ton of flavor and makes it very moist.
-Sprinkle cheese over. You may also add more gravy mix now if desired.
-Pat down your mass of food to kind of flatten and even it out.
-Place tinfoil dinners on charcoal grill. If you don't have a charcoal grill that's ok. We have never had a positive experience cooking hobo dinners on a fire. You may place dinners directly on charcoal in the sand or dirt but you have to watch them closely so they don't burn. A grate over the charcoal would be better, although it takes longer without a lid. You will need to turn dinners over and check them occasionally. It is ready when the meat is done. In our charcoal grill it takes about an hour for them to cook.
I shouldn't have read this...now I want Hobo Dinners for breakfast! Mmmm... My mouth is watering.
ReplyDeleteI put that right into the recipe book. Thanks. Now I need your camping breakfast, camping dessert, cheap meal, favorite meal... :)
ReplyDeleteSounds super tasty.
Camping recipes are the hardest ones to come by. You are right though, this is the only way to do it right.
ReplyDelete