Growing up in my family we did a lot of yard work. We had a large garden, flower beds, lots of grass, fruit trees and more flower beds. I hated yard work as a kid. As an adult, well I still don't think highly of it.
This week my neighbor rang my doorbell and told me she was just out doing some work in her yard and since she was at it she would just cut down my annuals, "there are just a few of them you know and the new ones are trying to grow but can't if the old ones are still there." Etc etc etc. As she was talking I glanced around my yard, which really isn't MY yard, and thought to myself, "huh, I didn't know I had all these flower beds...hmmmm, how embarrassing, look at the weeds coming up." My dear neighbor then pointed out a particular weed, "better get that one soon, it's a pain to get out if it gets big."
Point taken. I actually got the point 15 minutes prior when she told me she was going to cut out the old annuals.
The neighborhood where I live (remember I am house sitting in an affluent neighborhood) doesn't tolerate such nonsense as weeds or overgrown flower beds. I'm surprised we haven't been cited for the excessive cars and trailers yet...
Needless to say I've done some weeding this week. I still don't like it. The yard doesn't look anything like the other yards in my circle but it's at least better than it was, and mostly weed free. I like flower beds and nice looking yards but I just don't have the patience to maintain them. I appreciate nice looking yards much better when I'm looking at them from across the street. Weird coming from a yard working family and weird coming from a chick who works at a flower shop. I still just prefer grass. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment