Went to the eye doctor yesterday so I could get another set of contact lenses. It makes me chuckle when the doctor comes into the exam room and says, "I could be making faces at you and you wouldn't have a clue, would you?!" True statement. I wouldn't know. Saying that I am nearsighted is quite an understatement.
I got glasses when I was in kindergarten. Then it was pretty cool. But by the time 5th grade rolled around and I was on my 4th pair of glasses it wasn't so cool anymore. Besides my lenses were getting pretty thick, my sweet big brother, James, called my "Thickly". By 6th grade I begged mom and dad for contacts. That was pretty cool, not very many 6th graders had contacts. 8th grade rolled around and I got an infection in one of my eyes so I couldn't wear contacts for about a week. I said to myself, "the doctor didn't say I couldn't wear a contact in the other eye." So for about a week I only wore one contact because I couldn't bear the idea of walking into that jr. high with glasses. Consequently there was a lot of winking, my friends said. Ahh, the teenage years...
My eyes are quit healthy at the moment, thankfully, because last time I went to the eye doctor it was because I had a severe infection. I was wearing my contact lenses too long (about 5 minutes after I woke up till about 5 minutes before bedtime and never at night) and they were essentially suffocating my eyes not allowing them to get any oxygen. The solution, less contacts and more glasses. So for about the last year and a half it's been mostly a life of glasses for me (which I do not like). Apparently I also have a little bit of double vision going on too. I didn't really know I was seeing double because I guess my eye muscles correct most of it. The doctor is surprised I don't get migraines.
Sadly, the doctor also told me yesterday that the possibility of Lasik Surgery is nonexistent for me because I am too nearsighted it wouldn't work. I was totally bummed. Not that I have been considering it, because I haven't been, but just knowing that my chances for perfect vision have just been dashed forever..... just irked.
I guess I've lasted this long as four-eyes I think I can stick it out. Plus, the doc gave me a different brand of contacts that should help them feel better and not be so irritated. So I'm grateful for that. There's the history of my eyes for ya.
I think you look great with glasses, Sarah!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Dara. You look good! Plus, it's always nice to have a fellow four-eyed friend.
ReplyDelete