This is a venting post about the medical world so if you don't want to hear it then don't read it.
Haven't people been having babies since the DAWN OF TIME?!?!? Let me answer that. YES! Of all the health things in this entire world shouldn't having babies be on the list of fairly routine and natural things? I would think yes, but apparently it's not.
My insurance maternity deductible is $7500.00. PLUS, and this is the part that they don't tell you but I already know about it, the baby deductible is $1500. So we're looking at 9 grand before my insurance kicks in and does something. 9 THOUSAND dollars to have a baby seems like a lot to me. Again, think back to that whole dawn of time thing. The pioneer women had babies in the back of a covered wagon in a snow storm and managed to survive. In our human history there are probably much more examples of women birthing babies in worse conditions than that. Yes, I understand that today there are far less people who die in childbirth than back even a hundred years ago. My point is that as humans we have been birthing children for a very long time and it should be a basic and somewhat simple procedure. And something so basic shouldn't cost so much freaking money.
(In case you're wondering why I don't get Aflac or some supplemental insurance let me assure you it is not possible to lawfully get supplemental maternity insurance in the state of Utah anymore. Believe me I have looked and checked every possible avenue.)
We've only received a couple bills so far but already we're appalled at what we have to pay for. I'm not even going to go into it, but it feels ridiculous.
NOBODY can tell me how much something will cost. I've talked to at least a dozen different people about my ultrasound and how much it's going to cost, just so I know going in how much it will cost. NOBODY can tell me exactly; not my doctor, not the lab doing it, the secretary, my insurance, the hospital, a variety of different billing people. No one can give me an answer. THAT to me is absurd! I have ballpark figures but only for the facility itself not for the technician reading the results so who knows how much else that will cost?!? NOBODY knows! No other industry could get away with this nonsense of, hmmm, it's gonna be around this much... It's extremely annoying.
Since nobody can tell me anything it feels like I am just opening my bank account up to them and letting them just suck away all my money and there is nothing I can do about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment