St. Anthony Sand Dunes
We spent 5 days at the St. Anthony Sand Dunes in Idaho last week with family and friends. 9 adults, 2 teenagers and 6 kids under the age of 4.
Let me say it was not the best trip ever but it wasn't the worst trip ever either. We still enjoyed it despite the not so fun parts.
The biggest letdown of the trip for Neil and I was that our sandrail died. Neil will be horribly embarrassed if I try to explain and give the technical answer to what happened. So I will just say we have to get a completely different motor. SO SAD because we have loved that rail and it has been perfect for our little family. This is us getting towed back to camp by Kevin and Keisha's brand new RZR, thanks for rescuing us!
The dunes there are super huge and incredibly unpredictable. You'll be riding along and expect the dune to follow a certain path and then suddenly it has a hole there or a deceiving drop. The vastness and size of the dunes are really amazing, and so fun! I had to preface that before I say what happened next.... I wrecked and got a concussion! I am physically fine but some people may question whether or not my brain has been permanently damaged. Laugh it up, you people! My four-wheeler only suffered a flat tire (which needs to be repaired because it still won't hold air), cracked brake light and my bell broke (I had a bicycle bell, the kind that goes briiing briiing. It made me go fast). I may do a separate post about the crash...
6 people got bee stings! There were hundreds and hundreds of some type of wasp/bee/yellow jacket at our camp. It was awful. Little Abby's was the worst, right by her eye and it was swollen shut. Keisha's armpit. One flew into Kevin's diet Coke and he got stung on his tongue. Neil's mom got stung on her bum right through her pajamas. Zoey's nose and my forearm. We got three bug zapper rackets that helped a lot to kill them off.
Zoey is a bully. Our friends' daughter, Kaylie, is only 6 months older than Zoey and she is the sweetest little girl. Zoey would not leave her alone! Poor Kaylie was hit and pushed constantly for no reason and always had her toys taken by Zoey. That girl has never been in time out so much! Usually right after an incident Kaylie would still be sharing her toys with Zoey and being the sweetest girl ever to her. Sorry Kaylie!
Some good things: We loved our campsite. We were parked on asphalt which felt weird at first but we ended up really liking it. Nicest camp host too.
Neil set up a wireless network in our trailer so he could control a laptop with his iPhone and play music from his DJ library. We danced and partied and had a few dance off competitions! The kids ran and laughed and shook their little booties too. It was a hoot! Such an excellent addition to our camping experience.
There is a lake right near this camp ground that makes this destination an excellent place to go.
My super awesome brother-in-law, Brian set up a slip 'n slide into the lake... separate post later!
The riding here is awesome - as long as you're on top of your game and you don't crash. This is their competition hill called Choke Cherry. Pictures never ever do it justice. This is seriously a giant wall of sand and yes people ride up and down that. No, Mom, I did not attempt it, this time, because I was trying to take it easy. I had only wrecked 2 days before.

Good times were had by all despite the unfortunate things. We really enjoyed this destination and it may just be an annual trip for us!
That looks like alot of fun! We were just talking about hitting up the dunes here in the next few weeks to come. Our first adventure out to the dunes wasnt the greatest.. ok maybe a little scary but it is all in the adventure. The more things that happen the better the story (as long as no one get hurt!)
ReplyDeleteI think 4 wheeling the sand dunes is a little too adventurous for us. A guy in our ward broke his back on some dunes up in Idaho a couple of weeks ago and then you got a concussion...sounds dangerous.
ReplyDelete