Finally an answer to Zoey's throw up saga - Celiac Disease. For those who don't know Celiac Disease is an autoimmune condition where the small intestine does not allow food to be absorbed and causes adverse reactions when wheat/gluten is eaten. This is something Zoey will have to deal with for the rest of her life. The only cure is to maintain a gluten free diet.
WARNING: the following will result in my personal ramblings on the subject, possibly side tangents, venting and lots of complaining. So, if you don't want to hear all that then don't read it. That's what you're going to get if you read further.
Bombshell.
I will just say now that I am grateful that we know the problem because now we can proceed and know how to make Zoey feel better. So, I am grateful, truly I am.
Honestly though, this sucks. And yes, I am very aware that there are a myriad of resources and that lots of stores cater to the gluten free diet. Again, very grateful. But it does not change that I think this sucks.
A few more rays of silver lining though. Our friend, Kevin, also has Celiac Disease and I have called his wife, Keisha, twice in the last two days. (Lucky Keisha, soon she'll be on my speed dial) Kevin did say, and this is what I have to keep telling myself and reminding myself of, this isn't a condition where Zoey needs medicine, all she has to do is eat the things she's supposed to and she'll feel good. It's not like she has to suffer with pain or illness like other conditions. If she eats what she's supposed to then everything will be ok. Puts it into perspective. Thanks Kevin.
My dear brother who is full of wisdom pointed out, "I am so jealous of her. This gives her the ultimate reason to never have oatmeal again."
I am trying to be positive. It comes and goes. I am still completely overwhelmed by it all. Poor Neil suddenly has a leaky faucet for a wife. But I can't help it when my sweet little girl is sitting so politely and in her cute little sign language asks for a 'cracker please', 'PLEASE' with longing in that sweet face and I can't give it to her.
She doesn't like Honey Nut Chex nearly as much as Honey Nut Cheerios. Sad little girl. And she won't touch fruit snacks either.
I'm trying to think about it one day at a time instead of the ordeal it will be to send her to kindergarten with her own snacks and being paranoid about some kid sharing their birthday cupcake with her. Of course, I'll be a pro by then, right? Whatever.
Neil has done the Atkins diet a few times and after about 3 or 4 weeks I am tired with preparing all the special meals and snacks. And normally we eat whatever is in front of us. I'm not one of those whose ever cooked super healthy meals or super big into fruits and vegetables. We eat fruits and vegetables but it's not like something we have for every meal. I'm very laid back when it comes to eating because well it's just food, right? But, I can't do that ANYMORE. I have to focus constantly on every aspect of our food. That's not my personality and I am terrified of making that switch.
The other thing is that I don't cook with weird ingredients. For example, I just in the last few months gave in and added vinegar and cornstarch to my pantry shelf. Those were items I had deemed weird and avoided in cooking but am now using although seldom. Gluten free recipes are full of weird, can't pronounce ingredients, let alone find in the grocery store. Obviously, I'm a bit intimidated by that too.
AND I'm the mean mommy who won't give her what she wants and keeps taking her to get poked. No wonder she doesn't like me lately.
So there you have my thoughts. If you read all that just remember that I warned you.
No comments:
Post a Comment