To Neil, Home is the piano and the painting hanging above it that has been there since he was a kid. It was a momentous day, a few years ago, for Neil when his mom gave us the very painting that had been over her piano since he was little, which was originally over Grandma's piano, and Grandma had given Neil's mom the same painting that had been over her piano. That's home for Neil.To me, boy, I can't put my finger on something specific but I can say how excited I was to put my fridge magnets and pictures up. I like a busy fridge with my favorite people smiling back at me. I didn't know the difference it made to me once our fridge was covered. Opening my boxes of dishes was like Christmas for me - maybe because I hadn't seen them in a month or maybe it's just the familiarity. The other thing that made me excited was to cover the walls with pictures and the things I love. This house is so big that I have to use pretty much every decoration item I have otherwise it's bare; needless to say I am using some things I never have used but have had forever (I'm still not done with it all). Having our own quilt on the bed. It's the little things that make it home for me.
What about you? What do you visualize when you think the words "there's no place like home?"
Home: The summer after my senior year somebody made a lizard out of beads and gave it to me. I liked it well enough and remembered it just as I was leaving to go to college, so it was on top when I got to my apartment.
ReplyDeleteI got into the habit of grabbing Ed, the lizard, on my way out of any living space and hanging him up in the new digs when I arrived.
Ed hung from my rearview mirror of my car the summer I split between Dugway, Logan, and West Point.
He's still the last to move out and the first to move in. Clint rolls his eyes at me; but Ed is still the sign of home.
Maybe I should have Ed put in my coffin with me... I'll specify that in my will.
ReplyDeleteOh please do put Ed in your coffin!
ReplyDelete